Image Map

Sunday 21 December 2014

5 captivating novels to read

The year is coming to an end and for many it signals the time of the year where one actually has time to pick up a book. These five books will captivate you and, trust me, you won't be able to put them
down!


Ice station by Matthew Reilly

From Matthew Reilly, an Australian action thriller writer, 'Ice Station' is the first novel of a series. Following the discovery of a secret object hidden deep in the ice of Antarctica a team of Marines are deployed. This novel has so many twists and turns and really plays with your emotions. In my mind I liken it to a blockbuster action movie.


Looking for Alaska by John Green

I picked this novel up two days ago and finished it today. I couldn't put it down! Sometimes I read "trashy" novels but this is a real "proper" novel - a great piece of literature. I don't want to spoil anything for you but I will say that it focuses on a group of teenagers at boarding school. Despite tragic events there is a bit of comedy and lots of heart strings being pulled too!


The Cuckoo's Calling & The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (J.K Rowling)

Anyone who has read Harry Potter knows that J.K Rowling is a brilliant writer BUT to me what makes her even more admirable is her ability to move on from Harry Potter and begin writing another series, that in itself is gripping, and so different from out beloved Harry Potter. These two novels are right up my alley - being a crime fiction fan! They follow an ex-cop investigating crimes in London.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

'Gone Girl' has received so much attention in the media this year, in addition to the movie that was released a couple of months ago, so I am not going to spend too much time on it. Chances are you have already heard quite a bit about it. If you still haven't read it, and you enjoy thrillers that centre around relationships, romance and a good old mystery, you should read the book! Talk about leaving a trail of breadcrumbs...oh boy! This book is filled with so many twists and turns that you still don't know what is really happening until the very last page of the book - or do you? I'm still not sure!!! Enough said...read the book!!! :)


Maybe I should have said this earlier but they were in no particular order. As a massive bookworm and an indecisive person it was tricky enough to select only five books...
I would love to know what books you haven't been able to put down, let me know in the comments below :) Thanks for reading and have a great day!

6 comments:

  1. I finished reading Ice Station last month. I can definitely say that it's such an action packed novel. I thought the action couldn't get any more and than I'm blown away chapter after chapter. Being more of a general young adult reader, I was surprised that I enjoyed many of Matthew Reilly's books. I am now halfway through Area 7.
    xx Kat @ Katness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I read Ice Station recently, and I totally agree that it was action-packed and crazy! Really kept me hanging and I couldn't put it down. It did start to get a little bloody and gory for me though. Gone Girl is another favourite too, what a fantastic and very dark novel. I am super keen to check out "Robert Galbraith" & what he (she?) has to offer in adult novels! X

    Bec | Bec & Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Gone Girl and Looking For Alaska this year myself, and i was surprised by how much I enjoyed them. I'd love to get my hands on the series by Robert Galbraith /Rowling. I've heard good things about them!

    Beauty Challenged

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should definitely read the Galbraith/Rowling books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ice station is absolutely crazy!!! I have never read a book with as many twists as Gone Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read Area 7 as well. Would love to know what you think of it when you finish it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog. I love and appreciate every comment I receive and will do my best to reply as soon as possible.